If you toe gets buckled, crooked or contracted, then in that case nothing can be the best option other than Hammer Toe Surgery. This kind of toe condition can be also termed as cross-over toe. This is really quite painful and sometimes the pain increases so much that it seems to be completely unbearable. Excessive skin building up from a corn can be corn identified as hammer toe.
Thorough medical examination is needed so that it can be understood that whether there is any need of this surgery or not. The toe becomes swollen, red warm and irritated and thus you will face a huge trouble in wearing shoes. In fact, you will never be able to wear any kind of stylish shoes as it is being strictly restricted by the foot specialists.
If you are wearing wrong footwear since a long time, then your toes will get exposed towards this trouble. To be more precise, foot deformities occur due to hammer-toe and before this trouble goes too high, it needs to be surgically treated so that you can get proper correction of your toes. In this case, corns and bunions re quite common and on the other hand rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis can also be invited as a result of this toe disease.
Simple treatments supporting surgeries of hammer toes
• Wearing supportive shoes can be treated as one of the most relaxing and easiest options.
• Using arch support can be also quite helpful as your toes need not require taking pressure of your body weight.
• Wide-toe box oriented shoes are to be used and in most of the cases these shoes are being recommended by foot doctors.
• Foot activities can be easily modified and you can also practice different kinds of toe exercises that are quite relaxing in this case.
• Periodical callus-care is needed along with the usage of spot-stretch shoes.
Non-surgical treatments that can be added
If hammer toe surgery needs to be successfully conducted, then few non-surgical treatments also need to be practiced in addition. Few important non-surgical treatments that deserve special mention in this regard are as follows:-
• Anti-inflammatory medicines can be used for treating hammer toe on a temporary basis till the surgery is done. These prescribed medicines are only used so that the symptoms can be easily tackled. Both inflammation and pain can be efficiently controlled by means of these prescribed medicines.
• Your toe muscles might become tight or poorly functioned and these muscles can be only well-treated by means of physical therapies. These therapies can bring your toes in comfortable condition very soon. Your muscles can receive a lot of strength from these therapies and thus you will not feel any painful sensation any more till the surgery is done. Toes can be exacerbated and inflammation can be reduced with the use of specialized ultrasound techniques.
• Customized foot orthotics are really quite well for treating hammer toes and the associated symptoms. This treatment is nothing but the regular usage of perfectly sized shoes. In some cases, you are also instructed in wearing medicated shoes that have been instructed by the foot doctors. Future deterioration and further discomfort can be minimized by wearing these kinds of specially moulded shoes.
• Toe pads or splints can be used as one of the greatest supports. These pads make your toes feel good and comfortable under all circumstances and on the other hand toe pains can be minimized day by day. Different kinds of shoe irritations can be easily tackled by means of these pads. These pads can be used in any shoes you are wearing. Your toes can be physically realigned and on the other hand acute protection of your toes can be guaranteed. Toe region oriented swelling and pains can be reduced but in that case you have to use pads regularly.
• Cortisone injections serve the best in this regard and by pushing these injections, your toes can get greater relief. These injections have got innumerable anti-inflammatory properties and these properties can release the inflammation immediately. Toe-ligaments can be well-supported along with the treating of the probable symptoms for hammer toes. You should have these injections only if the doctors allow for the same.
What are the different surgical procedures of hammer toes?
Hammer Toe Surgery for making correction of your deformed toes on a permanent note. This kind of surgery can be either termed as toe augmentation or else you can call it toe shortening. This toe job needs to be done quite carefully and on the basis of toe condition, the exact procedure needs to be detected first by the toe surgeons. Some of the basic procedures that are involved in this surgery are as follows:-
• Joint resection is a specialized procedure which is helpful in joining the joints of any toe that have been sectioned due to crooking condition. This is the perfect surgical method for correcting crooked toes getting affected by hammer toes.
• Bone mending is another process where defective bones are being corrected or repaired. Buckled joints can be well treated by the concerned procedure and you will be able to place your toe nicely within your shoes after the surgical method. Different hardware options are available and in some cases temporary wires are being installed in your toes for the purpose of straightening. This is one of the commonest procedures and it is often termed as toe-fusion surgery.
• Toe relocation is mainly conducted in extreme cases and here the toes are being properly relocated so that joint fittings can be done easily. Toe-bone alignment should be corrected so that walking issues can be completely eliminated. Surgical rod is being surgically fitted within the toe bone so that greater support can be created. Toe-ligaments are being corrected by means of this relocation system. Special after-surgical care needs to be conducted after this surgery and the careful steps are usually being instructed by the expert surgeon so that quick recovery can be gained.